Sunday, December 13, 2009

Reaching My Building


A little over a year ago we had a fire in the apartment building I live in. You can read more about it in my original post. The most memorable part of the evacuation for me, was sitting on the lawn across the street with my neighbors when the fire trucks pulled up. Two huge ladder trucks parked in front of our building, lights strobing. After they stopped, they put up two huge flood lights which plunged our building into a daylight no darkness could easily penetrate. Every brick, every leaf could be seen clearly.



I am reminded of that light shining on my building everytime we sing "Mighty to Save" and we get to the lines:

"Shine your light and let the whole world see,
We're singing for the glory of the risen king"

Shine your light! I think of my building with the huge lights illuminating it. How desperately I want God's light to shine that bright, to immerse the darkness in my neighbors lives!

So today I hosted a winter party. I put up a few signs and opened the door to my home. Six of my neighbors showed up, two families. We had a good conversation and decorated cookies while the kids played games and did crafts. I am so glad they came and so glad they felt welcomed. We are talking about having another party for our building and I can't wait!

No comments: