Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Fear of People

Ever since I was a child, I knew the feeling of fear. Every night before I went to bed I would look down the street at my neighbor's mailbox and fear it was the boogie man. It created a bizarre shadow that when mixed with the odd plant next to it created a very recognizable boogie man (well, in the eyes of a three-year-old). I would stay up late at night in fear the boogie man would get me. I would like to say I quickly grew out of my fear, but I didn't...my fears just changed. Bombarded with hours and hours of watching Rescue 911 with my family, I quickly became afraid of people breaking into my house, fires, high cliffs, rabid animals, and random health issues. As I watch the news, it makes me afraid of people who do random attacks. So its no wonder I walk down the street fearing the worst in people. You never know who to suspect. You can't be too sure who to trust.

However, I grew up in a church that had a strong moto. "Ascribe infinite worth to everyone you meet". Everyone, every person on the earth, has infinite worth to God. God loves them so much He died for them! They have unsurpassible, infinite worth to Him. But still, when I hear a knock on the door, the adreneline pumps a bit, you hear about crazy people attacking this way. When I hear someone yelling outside, I wonder what's wrong. When I drive by a person begging on the side of the road, I or my passenger instinctly trigger the lock switch. Why? Why are we afraid of people? In the Bible we learn, "In God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?" - Psalm 56:11. So, when you hear a knock, open that door. When you pass people in the mall, make eye contact. Driving pass the beggar, send up a prayer. Don't fear people and the possible harm they could do, welcome them into life. We need each other in life. We were created to do life together. Invite people in.